Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Father Of The Bride

It's the father of the bride's birthday today so in his honor, I wanted a post all about him. And the wedding plans. And how the two (the father of the bride and the wedding plans) have managed to co-exist these past few months with little to no conflict.

He is the Switzerland of wedding planning.

The father of the bride has smartly stayed along the sidelines during the planning of the happy couple's wedding.  And no one in their right mind would blame him. I mean, who would want to be in the middle of a heated discussion about gold, green, glittery candles? Or heaven forbid, to be asked to be on the committee that decides if Italian Green Beans will make it onto the menu? He has wisely said, "no thanks, I'll pass!"

Now that's not to say he hasn't stepped in a few times to mediate a tense negotiation or to quell an uprising, such as the infamous would-be mutiny I had on my hands a few weeks ago (you can read all about that dark time here, at Ahoy Mateys).

The funny thing is, when we planned our wedding 26 or so years ago, he seemed to be a little more involved, especially since we paid for our wedding and were responsible for all the decisions.

He went with me to the florist to pick out the flowers. He went with me to the caterers to pick out the food. He went with me to the bakery to pick out the cake.

Then again I could be imagining it (young love will do that to you).

But one thing I am positive of today is my thankfulness and love for the father of the bride. He is the anchor of our family, leading us, guiding us, protecting us and most importantly, he lives his life for all to see as a true man of God, and as a follower and believer of Jesus Christ.


So on this day, as our family celebrates the father of the bride's birthday, and reflects on his mighty contribution to our family, the sidelines may be the wisest place to be...smart guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment