Monday, July 18, 2011

The Wedding Gown - Round One

Last week we went wedding gown shopping. We looked at what seemed like dozens and dozens of gowns until Kaitlin found one that was just perfect and decided to buy it. It was, after all, "The One".

Now shopping for wedding gowns, as most people know, is a time honored tradition that for decades, mothers and daughters have shared together. Precious memories made among the white satin, the lace, the beading, the exuberant salesgirl...and for us, the tradition included one extra special memory...

The computer.

Yes, she bought her wedding gown online. And I was an accessory.

Someone had gotten word to us that the local bridal shop was having a huge sale. Giant. Big. Ginormous. And what better way to check out a great sale then by going online and seeing what's what. So that's exactly how we spent her lunch hour last Tuesday. Perusing gowns in front of the laptop.

And then she found it.

"The One".

And it was on sale. Big time.

And I had a promotional code for an additional 10% off. (I'm feeling a little faint just typing it)

Giddy with the glow of  I-can't-believe-we-just-bought-your-wedding-gown-for-$...we naturally began bragging telling anyone and everyone we could think of the unbelievable deal we got on the gown.

I think I might have even dialed our bug man and told him.

A week passed and then this afternoon a big, pretty white box arrived at our doorstep. Tissue paper and ribbon, white satin and ruching, a delicate flower applique...and then she tried it on.

In the midst of zipping her into the gown, suddenly the words "looks like something a Kardashian sister would wear" were uttered by someone in the room. Now I'm not quite sure who exactly said them, but since it was only me, Kaitlin and her sister Taryn in the room at the time, I'm guessing one of us has seen one too many tabloid magazine covers at the grocery store lately.

Back into the box in went. "The One" turned out to be a dud. Our deal of the decade was a lemon, leaving a sour taste in our mouths. But on the bright side, the huge sale isn't over yet and we have an appointment with a real live exuberant salesgirl next week.

I'm just hoping she'll take my other promotional code.


4 comments:

  1. Love It!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have daughters, 20-somethings, and am enjoying reading this. There will be weddings in my future and I think its safe to say there is much more drama on the bride side than the grooms in most wedding planning : ) Hope she finds THE ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're SO FUNNY! Alas, I am in that same boat as you. My youngest will be getting married in October. We have been through the gown shopping but luckily we did find "THE ONE" and it was a bargain!

    Still looking at all of the other expenses -- and whew, things are much more expensive than when my other daughter got married 12 years ago.

    Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TAMMY CRAWFORD McFARLANDJuly 20, 2011 at 12:09 AM

    I THINK I'M GOING TO ENJOY READING THIS BLOG.... YOIUR HILARIOUS....THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME SMILE.

    ReplyDelete