Sunday, July 17, 2011

Planning The Big Day

Planning a wedding is beginning to feel a little like being pregnant...months and months of planning but no real action until the big day.

Since "planning the wedding" has become a way of life around here the last few weeks, one of the first things we did when Kaitlin and Jesse got engaged was look for a wedding calendar. One of those nifty little devices that politely lets you know what you need to have done month by month in order for your wedding to perfect. Important things like:

-get your teeth whitened for your engagement photos (Nothing says "one of us better check on a dental plan before we get married" like a mouth full yellow teeth)

-check to see of your church requires liability insurance for your ceremony (in case of fire, property damage, flood...usually listed under the sub-heading "Bridezilla")

-book your calligrapher (Who knew how important the right calligrapher could be? Or how hard it might be to book one?)

I'm glad weddings come with calendars nowadays, since I'm the type of person that leaves a trail of sticky notes wherever I go. I write sticky notes to remind myself to look at my daily planner. And even that doesn't always work. I was supposed to meet a good friend for coffee last week and was gently reminded that I completely forgot our date later that evening. See what I mean? No sticky note to remind me to look at the planner.

We're still in the very early stage of planning...the first trimester if you will. As the big day grows closer it should be interesting to see what's in store. Things like...how much weight am I going to be able to lose two weeks before the wedding...how often is the phrase, "well, it's my wedding after all" going to be muttered under the bride's breath (three times so far)...how many people will Cousin Gertrude bring to the reception without RSVPing any of them...all the little unexpected things.

Yep, planning a wedding is a little like being pregnant....man, I hope it's not triplets.


No comments:

Post a Comment