Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

It's been 26 or so years since I've been involved in the planning of a wedding and like most things in life weddings have certainly changed. And there are so many things popular today that we hadn't even heard of way back then...things like...

*Organic wedding bands*
Now unless its made out of some kind of pesticide-free metal I'm not quite getting organic wedding bands. I did see a wooden wedding band for sale online the other day, but I guess just because something is made out of wood, doesn't necessarily mean it's organic. I just always think that, if it's wood, it's organic...wood, organic...wood comes from trees, trees are natural....

I could hop down that rabbit trail for days.

*Cake Pops*
Being served at receptions everywhere, it's cake on a lollipop stick.
Yep, I'm good with that one.
Throw in some frosting and I'm circling the dessert table like a buzzard over roadkill the rest of the night.

*Save the Date cards*
An invitation telling you an invitation is coming. It's like an early warning device the army might use, except it's designed for the wedding season.

"Warning! There's a wedding invitation coming five months from tomorrow! Here's your warning that the real invitation is coming! Take all precautions! Warning!"

(Warning! The happy couple's Save the Date card goes out in two weeks! You have been warned!)

*Candy Bars*
Tables loaded with free candy. Good with that one too.

*Satin Ribbon Wands, Sparklers, Bubbles, Doves, Butterflies...the list is endless*
What ever happened to throwing rice? Or even birdseed? All I know is that if someone had chucked a dove at me and my new hubby as we walked out of the church there would have been trouble.

*Dogs as ring bearers, ushers, maids of honor*
Fido in a tux, with our organic wedding bands tied around his neck? I don't think so.

Things certainly have changed in the last 26 years, some good, some not so good.

Cake pops and candy tables? Very good.

2 comments:

  1. This is my guilty pleasure lately! I love these stories and I think you really have a great talent. I am laughing and I am cringing thinking wow how things have changed. Great Job!
    Kim Deguise

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Kim! I really appreciate the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete